Sunday, August 15, 2010

Perspective

It's funny, but in the last couple of weeks I've read a couple of
articles in El Pais from which I've learned more about what's been
going on in Italian politics over the past four months than from the
scores of articles I've read in La Stampa during that period and,
likewise, I've read a couple of articles in La Stampa that have taught
me more about Spanish politics than anything I've read in El Pais in
recent months. There is a lot to be said for the perspective that
comes with distance. I'm reminded of the essays James Fallows' wrote
in 2007, 2008, and 2009 for the Atlantic while he was based in China:
he said many insightful things about the U.S. which Washington Post
and New York Times journalists in America didn't write about, and
perhaps weren't even aware of.