Thursday, May 27, 2010

Kindle redux

I wrote this Kindle review a few days ago:

http://chroniconmundi.blogspot.com/2010/05/my-kindle-review.html

A strange thing has happened since then. My Kindle is gone. It's disappeared.

This is a good thing. After a few hiccups, mainly caused by impatience
when navigating the device, which can cause it to freeze, I've learned
to operate it without being aware I'm doing it. And I'm no longer
aware the device is there. It's just me and the text I happen to be
reading. I've long paid a lot of money for paper subscriptions to
newspapers and magazines. After more than a week with the Kindle, I
can say that I definitely prefer reading newspapers on the Kindle,
whether I'm in a train, in the kitchen, or in bed -- and books too.
I'm subscribed to the New York Times, El Pais, the Frankfurter
Allgemeine, La Stampa (the best that's available from Italy,
unfortunately), and O Globo (unfortunately no Folha or Jornal do
Brasil, but I love the Portuguese language) -- for around 1000 bucks a
year, which I think is very reasonable. I ought to subscribe to Le
Monde, but I don't particularly enjoy reading French, possibly because
I'm surrounded by the language. In addition, I'm reading a biography
and a novel at the same time (an old habit of mine). As a result, I'm
spending very little time on the internet, except when I have to for
work, I no longer watch TV or DVDs, and I'm turning down most
freelance work. For the first time in a decade, I can see myself
living without the internet altogether (except when translating).

It's a good thing I have a day job where I have to show up every day,
because I'm seriously addicted to the Kindle.

My Kindle has disappeared and that's the best compliment I can give
it. I am a little worried that I'll never read a paper book again,
which would be bad because many university press books are not
available in the Kindle store. I'm also concerned that so far there's
no Chinese content. But I don't think I'll miss blogs and the rest of
the internet for entertainment.

--