Thursday, October 2, 2008

The Pinyin Bible

The Pinyin News blog is making available, in installments, the most comprehensive book on the writing (and not just transliteration) of Chinese with the Latin alphabet:

Chinese Romanization: Pronunciation and Orthography, by Yin Bingyong.

This book, which is nearly 600 pages long, is a mother lode of information. It would be difficult for me to overstate its importance. Over the next few months I'll be releasing the work in sections. I had intended to delay this a little, as I have had to wait for a fancy new scanner and am still awaiting some OCR software that can handle Hanzi as well as the Roman alphabet. (This Web site is an expensive hobby!) But since Taiwan has recently adopted Hanyu Pinyin I will be releasing some material soon (without OCR, for the time being) in the hope of helping Taiwan avoid making mistakes in its implementation of an orthography for Pinyin here. Watch this blog for updates.