Monday, August 25, 2008

Thatcher's mind

Having lived in Yorkshire in the 1980s, I am, to put it politely, no fan of Margaret Thatcher's. But it saddens me to learn that she has lost her brilliance and wit, about which there was no argument. Her daughter Carol wrote in last week's Mail on Sunday about Thatcher's growing struggle, since the year 2000, with her own words and memory. Carol describes having to break the news of Denis Thatcher's death to her mother more than once. (He died in 2003 of pancreatic cancer.) "Dementia meant she kept forgetting he was dead. I had to keep giving her the sad news over and over again. Every time it finally sank in that she had lost her husband of more than 50 years, she'd look at me sadly and say, 'Oh', as I struggled to compose myself. 'Were we all there?' she'd ask softly."

Hat tip: Guardian